Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My tree

Back in the Ukraine my mom had a carved picture of an Aspen tree. I spent many nights falling asleep looking at that carving thinking it must be the most buitiful tree in the world. When I got to America however the tree was missing. I recall catching glimpses of it in peoples back yards but as a ghost it was gone when I later returned to where I thought it lived.

After almost getting killed the cave was a disappointment. I expected crystals of every color set aglow by lasers but instead the overly excited ranger who seemed to have forgotten she was still bleeding gave a tour that consisted of rock formations she called Cave Bacon and some curly protrusions she said existed in no other cave in such quantities. Shit, if I only knew I could charge people to see curly protrusions.

The ranger was a 5th grade teacher during the week and treated myself and the other 6 visitors as she would her class. Before going inside she asked, does anyone know the first rule of exploring a protected natural cave? I raised my hand, don't pee inside the cave? She was not amused. Thankfully it was over quickly, just like a colonoscopy and I was through to the other side. It was getting late and the ranger decided to follow me down and yell at me as I leaned over the sides to take pictures of Utah valley. Along the way we noticed that one of the other visitors traveling ahead of us must be removing the signs and chucking them off the mountain. When the ranger stopped to radio in this emergency I took the opportunity to sneak away and hurry the rest of the way down, passing a very nice couple I was sure were responsible.

Thankfully I own a GPS which told me I could be home in 12 minutes if I took one road, and an hour if I went the long way. I drove for a long time through forests that would have looked exactly like this had I gotten out and taken a picture.
Another 15 minutes driving up through the mountains had me passing a river that I could only hear bellow. Then one last turn I crested a hill and there it was. As far as I could see bellow cloud covered mountains rolling Aspen filled hills full of colors that put Massachusetts Fall season to shame. This is my new favorite place on earth. I am taking one of those trees with me when it comes time to leave this state.

No comments: