Monday, September 10, 2007

Local Wildlife

I find myself enjoying Utah more every day I am here. The religious presence actually enhances the atmosphere. If I am feeling generous, all I need to do is go to my local Chili’s where the waiter will ask me for a donation to a children’s charity before agreeing to actually serve me any food. I find the local movies spacious and quiet except for the times when half the theatre walks out during a sex scene that they were not aware would be included in the film. I highly recommend everyone go see Shootem Up. In Utah if at all possible.

The views however are like no other place in the world. I am told some visitors find the mountains intimidating, but I am amazed at their beauty. Another hiker died this weekend but the local authorities suspect it was due to a fall rather than a wild animal attack. I suspect she was pushed by a dear. I’m actually not sure how you can “suspect” a wild animal was not involved, but these are seasoned experts whose methods are beyond my understanding.

Life here is much simpler in many ways. For instance I had no doubt what this store specialized in when I saw the sign. Its quite cleaver don’t you think? Gunnies is actually a mining term that refers to open-cast mines. The word can also mean the empty space left by removing the lode from a mine, or the width of this space. Their selection of gunnies is almost as impressive as the mountains.

No comments: