Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First day at work

I jumped right into my job today. There are many things that need to be done on the marketing design and community management fronts. After getting a nice introduction, I decided to tackle the cheapest “in terms of coding resources” tasks first. I put up a guide application, and hopefully will get some good submissions this week. My 8 hours of meetings made it perfectly evident that I won’t be bored here for at least the next 6 months.

My office is at the front of the building walking distance to the kitchen where I will keep my coffee machine when I buy one. Apparently I am the only person currently working here who drinks coffee, how weird is that? I was told that there used to be a Dunkin Donuts in Utah but they closed and the closest Starbucks is 23 miles from the office, but it just may be worth it.

I love the roads here. Most streets are 4 lanes across and even those have a center turning lane. There seem to be 2 speeds here, full speed ahead and stop. The problem is on the few streets that are only 1 lane each way with no center turn lane, people still expect you not to slow down the main lane when turning. I’ve seen 70 year old ladies corner at 55mph. There is no traffic unless you’re on the highway 1 hour before a college football game, and even on the road in front of my house with 7 lanes across it, I have no problem making a left turn during rush hour across 4 of those lanes.
My coworkers tell me the mountains are perfectly safe. You “usually” hear the rattle snakes well before you step on them, the mountain lions can be scared away “almost always” and the bears have never hurt anyone except for the one guy they killed last month.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bet the guy hadn't had his coffee.