Saturday, July 12, 2008

Convention Season

The convention season is now in full swing. I am getting ready to do a little bit of traveling to promote our company and flagship game.

My first stop is just 40 miles north of the office in Salt Lake City, the last bastion of normalcy in Utah. The GEEX convention promises 5,000 local players. I think the event management is ambitious to think they will attract that many players from Utah who play with these electronic tools of the devil. 10 hour per day exhibit hall hours only add to my excitement over this event.

Not taking advantage of my position at all, I have arranged to leave clean up to someone else and depart the convention Saturday night to fly to San Diego. The Second Convention on my stop is Comic Con. I have not been able to locate solid numbers of attendees for this convention except that on the preview day before it opens up to the real crowd, 30,000 people paid extra to visit the exhibit hall. I expect over 70,000 people will be there over the fun filled 5 days, which incidentally is the longest of the conventions.

I am not staying on Heathers Yacht, eating sushi every night on the company’s dime while in town. Oh wait, yes I am. This is a Google Map from Heathers Yacht to the Convention.
Her Yacht is 9 slips out from the gazebo to the right of the pool if anyone cares. Google satellite view would scare me if it wasn’t so freeken cool.

I actually get to come home and see if my cat still lives before flying to Indianapolis for Gen Con. This convention is for D&D and Collectible card game players. They are probably the strangest of the bunch, and resemble me the most. This convention typically gets around 30,000 over a fun filled 4 days. Unlike the other 2 out of town conventions however, I will have 2 guys from management with me to help exhibit. This is also the only one of the “large” conventions where we have our own booth. We are part of much larger booths at Comic Con and Dragon Con that we were invited to join.

I get to spend a few more days in Utah before flying out to Dragon Con in Atlanta for another fun filled week. I may insist on working from NJ between Gen Con and Dragon Con.

Since my contract ran out, I’ve been able to renegotiate. Part of the new terms state that I only have to be in the office 2 weeks a month, however management is insisting that technically the conventions count as out of the office time. We’ll see about that.

In the mean time I am spending plenty of time out of the office to get my creative juices flowing. I am doing a lot of writing for promotions these days, and redesigning certain parts of our game. Here is a picture of my current work environment. While it changes daily, this place is one of my favorites.

No comments: