Sunday, December 16, 2007

My dilemma

Today I find myself contemplating blogging etiquette. Originally it was my intention to entertain my friends while having a place to vent my thoughts; however blogs being on the internet and the internet being a public forum, there are rules that must be followed as in any other public situation.

Already my blog has been located by my coworkers making me feel uneasy about writing anything touching on religion. Obviously since it is read by my parents, a certain prudence must be exercised regarding not only language but subject matter. It gets even worse from there. Since I am the marketing director for a company hoping to entertain many tens if not hundreds of thousands of people I must assume a portion of the player base will locate the blog. If that’s not bad enough, people I deal with on a professional level are sure to google my name. My blog isn’t exactly obfuscated being the 2nd hit.

I could certainly deal with my friends. Never having been one to hide my feelings my thoughts about each of them certainly won’t change their opinion of me, which is why the few friends I keep are true friends. Unfortunately, even though I only refer to them by first names some of them also have a public image which I have to be careful not to mar. So from now on writing about any of my friends is out of the question.

Writing about my coworkers is definitely out. We’ve only worked together for a brief period of time and while jests of all manner are typical through out the day, the inflections present in speech make them obviously light hearted. Putting something down in print no matter the meaning, could easily become misconstrued.

I shouldn’t even need to mention the consequences of writing anything about a business contact to myself or those I work with.

Which leaves what?

Writing about myself? To think anyone out there cares about my opinion or daily activities is a bit conceited, but really there is nothing else.

Actually it’s not that bad. I have always written about my views and usually most unfortunate events I am involved in and have received some praises, that the words have lightened some ones day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. My name is Phil Libin, a real person with a minor public image and I'm not worried about appearing on this blog. I've known Slava for something like twenty years and trust that he has the good sense and discretion to figure out what to write and what not to write.

Although, so help me god, one more post about his cat and I will, "ask him again to stop posting about his cat." He knows what I'm talking about.

Brandon said...

More cat posts plz!

Nataly said...

Hey there - what about your family? We don't mind if you talk about us - heck this blog is the best thing that could happen for us in our collective opinion, if I may speak for the entire clan. After all, we finally get to hear your thoughts and get to know you and your thoughts much more than we ever did before.

Being a new blogger myself, I must say that communication, of any type, is critical for human understanding and growth. Sure I nice un-interrupted conversation over coffee would be preferable, but as long as there is shared true dialogue, any method used is sufficient.

Slava Zatuchny said...

This is a perfect example why my sister educates our youth, while I corrupt them with games.